Contact Jackie M. “Jay” Matheny Jr.
A native of Mayfield, Kentucky, Jay Matheny grew up in a blue-collar home to working-class parents who instilled traditional, hard-working values in Jay that still resonate with him today. To Jay, persistence equals success, and clients will not find a more persistent attorney than Jay.
Jay is a 1999 graduate of Mayfield High School where he excelled in football and track, winning the 1999 Kentucky Class A State Shot Put Championship. Jay is also a 2003 graduate of Murray State University, where he earned a Bachelor of Science Degree (Cum Laude) in Political Science and was a four-year varsity letterman on Murray State’s Track & Field Team and a member of Lambda Chi Alpha social fraternity. Jay is a 2006 graduate of Ohio Northern University’s Pettit College of Law, where he received the American Jurisprudence Award in Sports Law.
Jay is a member of the Kentucky Bar Association, the McCracken County Bar Association, and is licensed to practice before all state courts in Kentucky, the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky, and the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky. Jay’s primary practice areas include creditors’ rights, landlord/tenant relations, workers’ compensation defense, and general civil litigation.
Jay’s hobbies including hunting, fishing, and vacationing with his family. Jay is also involved in several community organizations and serves on several community boards, including the Barkley Regional Airport Authority Board of Directors and the McCracken County Ducks Unlimited Sponsorship Committee. Jay is also a member of Sharon Baptist Church of Mayfield, Kentucky, a Life Fellow of the Kentucky Bar Foundation, and a frequent presenter of the Credit Abuse Resistance Education (C.A.R.E.) program to high school seniors throughout western Kentucky.
Jay resides in Mayfield, Kentucky with his wife (Amanda), their son (Grayson), their goldendoodles, Clark and Douglas and their tortoise, Oscar.
Click for a printable biography
- Murray State University, B.S., Cum Laude, 2003
- Ohio Northern University, Pettit College of Law, J.D., 2006
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Kentucky
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky
- Landlord and Tenant Relations
- Commercial and Business Foreclosures
- Residential Foreclosures
- Creditor’s Rights
- General Civil Litigation
- Kentucky Bar Association (Young Lawyers Section)
- Kentucky Bar Foundation (Life Fellow)
- McCracken County Bar Association (Secretary/Treasurer (2013-Present))
Community Organizations & Activities
- McCracken County Ducks Unlimited – Sponsorship Committee (2010-Present)
- Kentucky Bar Association – “U @ 18” Program Presenter (2010-Present)
- Kentucky Bar Foundation – Credit Abuse Resistance Education Presenter (2012-Present)
- Barkley Regional Airport Authority – Board of Directors (2014-Present)
- American Red Cross, Paducah Area Chapter – Board of Directors (2009-2014)
- Paducah Area Chamber of Commerce – Total Resource Campaign Team Member (2009-2013)
- Kentucky Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section – Executive Committee (2009-2012, 2013-2014)
Awards & Recognition
- Leadership Paducah – Graduate (2010-2011 Class)
- Young Leaders of Western Kentucky – Young Leaders Finalist (2012)
- American Red Cross – Board Member of the Year (2012)
Professional Seminars Presented
- “Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Living Wills & Powers of Attorney (But Were Afraid to Ask)” – First Baptist Church Senior Adult Ministry, February 2017
- “Selected Issues Regarding Governance & Nominating” – Barkley Regional Airport Authority, February 2015
- “Collection 101: A Basic Guide to Kentucky Collection Law” – McCracken County Bar Association, April 2014
- “Keys to Persuasive Speaking” – MidContinent University, April 2012
- “Estate Planning 101” – First Baptist Church, Mayfield, KY, February 2011
- Public Project Liens and You: What Every Government Agency Needs to Know About Public Project Liens in Kentucky
- How to Avoid Copyright Violation at Christian Movie Night
- Top Ten Mistakes Made by Landlords in Kentucky Eviction Cases
- Alphabet Soup for the Lay Person: A Cautionary Guide for Deciphering Legal Abbreviations and Acronyms
- The Pitfalls of Contracts for Deed in Kentucky
- Blurred Lines: The Sometimes Fuzzy Distinction between Civil and Criminal Cases